Information about our association
On March 13, 1924, Home Building and Loan Association of Greene County was formed. It was on this date that 17 men met on the second floor of the L.T. Laidly store in Carmichaels. At that time the assets were $33,000.00. Also at this time, the first conventional mortgage was made to Andrew McClellan of Carmichaels.
On April 12, 1939, a lot and frame building was purchased at 59 South Washington Street from Phil and Flow Shaner. At this time a Federal Charter was obtained and First Federal Savings and Loan Association of Greene County was established.
In 1942 First Federal absorbed the Citizens Building and Loan Association of Waynesburg and also the Security Building and Loan Association of Waynesburg. The first Veteran's home loan was made to Earl and Helen Rudolph of Mt. Morris.
On November 29, 1945, First Federal purchased its present building that originally housed the local hardware store, grocery store and clothing store. In the 1800's it was known as the Union Deposit and Trust Bank, a holding company for Mellon Bank and then the Union Trust Bank. After subsequent remodeling we opened our doors in April, 1946 with over 4,000 members and resources of over $4,500,000.00.
First Federal Savings had a full service branch office that was opened in the Lynch Building, located at 1 West Main Street, Uniontown, Pennsylvania, on March 1, 1958.
Later we purchased the Kaufman Building and the Benson Building and replaced these two buildings with beautiful new quarters that we now occupy. Our new full service office located at 1 West Main Street, Uniontown, Pennsylvania, was opened January 15, 1972.
Since that date, a four lane Drive-Thru facility was opened on April 14, 1983, at the intersection of Routes 19 and 21, Waynesburg and a four lane Drive-Thru facility with a lobby was opened at the intersection of Routes 21 & 119 Bypass, Uniontown, Pennsylvania on June 15, 1987.
Automated Teller Machines (ATM's) began operations on July 22, 1983, and are located at the Uniontown office, the Uniontown Drive-Thru, the Waynesburg Drive-Thru, the Washington Office, the Carmichaels Office, Southwest Regional Medical center, behind the Main Office in Waynesburg, Waynesburg University Stover Center, Waynesburg Comfort Inn, the Taylorstown office, and the Mt. Morris office.
To better serve the Carmichaels Borough and surrounding areas, First Federal purchased a full service branch office with one Drive-Thru lane situated at 101 West George Street, Carmichaels, Pennsylvania, from the First Federal Savings and Loan Association of Carnegie, Carnegie, Pennsylvania, on February 1, 1985.
On January 1, 1988, First Federal opened a subsidiary office in Morgantown under the name of First Greene Service Corporation solely for the purpose of writing mortgages and home improvement loans. This office located at 1211 Pineview Drive, Morgantown, WV, was put in place to better serve our customers in the West Virginia area.
June 1, 1990 marked the purchase of Ellwood Federals' deposit base from their Waynesburg office that closed May 31, 1990. The total assets purchased were in excess of 2 million dollars.
In 1992 the second floor of the Main Office in Waynesburg was expanded to support our growth and again in 1997 several additional offices were added.
In August 2000 the historic Hagen Building adjoining our Uniontown Office was acquired. In April 2004, the Hagen Building was remodeled extensively and now provides three additional floors of modern office space.
August 6, 2001, First Federal opened a new full service branch in Washington PA in order to provide convenience to our customers in Washington County. The new office is located at Washington Road and has an ATM and three drive-thru lanes.
On September 30, 2005, free Online Banking and Bill Pay was introduced in order to allow 24 / 7 banking for our customers convenience.
On March 1, 2007, a new full service branch opened in Taylorstown, PA at the intersections of State Routes 221 & 40 to provide additional services to our customers' in Washington County. The office is also equipped with an ATM and three Drive-Thru Lanes.
On September 1, 2008, a new Waynesburg Drive-Thru facility opened with 8 lanes, a new state of the art ATM and night Depository. This modern facility replaced the original office that began on April 14, 1983.
On April 28, 2009, a modern walk-up ATM was installed at the corner of Washington Street & Strawberry Street, behind the Main Office in Waynesburg.
In February of 2010, a new "no envelope deposit" ATM and night depository were installed at the Uniontown Drive-Thru office and a new ATM was installed at the Uniontown Office.
In July 2010, we introduced eStatements.
In December 2010, an extensive remodeling of the Carmichaels Office was completed that modernized the appearance and utility for customers.
In January 2011, a new online mortgage application tool was launched allowing customers to apply online for mortgages and home equity loans 24 X 7.
In the Summer of 2012, ground was broken on a new full service branch in Mt. Morris, PA. Opening is anticipated in the Spring of 2013.
Nine Presidents have served First Federal:
|J. M. Walters||1924-1938|
|Kenneth G. Baily||1947-1960|
|Richard C. Baily||1961-1964|
|Joseph D. Hart||1964-1972|
|James L. Brewer||1972-1991|
|Scott S. O'Neil||1991-2008|
|John E. Mariner||2008-2012|
|Judi Goodwin Tanner||2012-Present|